An interlock device could be a component of your DWI penalties

On Behalf of | Mar 8, 2018 | Blog, Firm News

New Hampshire drunk driving laws are harsh. If a law enforcement officer stops you for driving while intoxicated, the penalties you face will depend on your blood alcohol content level and the circumstances that led to your arrest.

If you have a high enough BAC, the court could order you to install an ignition interlock device on any vehicle you drive.

IID and the first offense

New Hampshire has both administrative and judicial procedures that will affect you if an officer arrests you for DWI. Installation of an ignition interlock device comes under the judicial heading. For a first offense, you will receive a fine of at least $500, as well as a driver’s license revocation, which you cannot get back until you enter the Impaired Driver Intervention Program.

If there are aggravating factors connected with your arrest, you will have to have an IID for one to two years after your license is reinstated. Aggravating factors could include exceeding the speed limit, having a child under the age of 16 in your vehicle when authorities arrest you, causing a collision that leads to injuries or attempting to elude law enforcement.

IID and the second offense

If you receive a charge of driving while intoxicated for the second time, the penalties increase. Now you are looking at a minimum $750 fine, 10 days or more in jail, alcohol abuse evaluation with treatment to follow and a three-year license revocation. When your license is reinstated, you must install an ignition interlock device for one to two years in any vehicle you drive.

Seeking help

You do not have to face the consequences of an arrest for DWI alone. An experienced criminal defense attorney will gather evidence, review the circumstances surrounding your case and ensure that you are well prepared for appearances, including DWI and ignition interlock hearings. The goal is always to protect your rights and achieve the most favorable outcome possible for your case.