If you or someone you know has ever made a mistake resulting in a conviction, you probably already know how this can affect your life. Even a simple arrest can leave a black mark on your record that will follow you for your lifetime. On the other hand, a criminal conviction changes your life in many negative ways from reputation damage to difficulty finding work.
To many, the prospect of seeking to expunge a criminal record seems like a lot of work. However, the benefits of record expungement can go a long way toward changing your life for the better. Below you will find some of the most common and valuable reasons people have chosen to have their records expunged in New Hampshire.
- Hides past convictions and/or arrests from potential and existing employers
- Restores certain rights such as voting and owning a firearm
- Keeps information about arrests or convictions away from the public
- Restores eligibility for public assistance programs
- Improves your chance of finding preferred rental units or buying a home
- Restores the ability to acquire professional licenses and certifications
- Aids those who wish to seek a higher education
- Empowers you to state that you have never been arrested or convicted of a crime
Now that you can see how beneficial it is to have your record expunged, your next step is to find out if you are eligible for expungement. A good approach for this step is to find a criminal defense attorney who has experience in these legal matters. With the right attorney, it is entirely possible for you to move forward in life with a blemish-free record.
Source: The Papillon Foundation, “Benefits of Expungement,” accessed Dec. 6, 2017