Process for moving out-of-state when on probation or parole

For people who are being monitored on parole or probation, the need to move out of state for something comes with an addition consideration that most people don’t have to think about. You will have to get your probation or parole moved from one state to another. This is done through the Interstate Compact Offender Tracking System.

This compact is a web-based method that enables you to apply to have your monitoring transferred from one state to another, but doing this requires that you have a good reason to move. You must apply through this compact if you are going to be in another state for 45 days or longer. It also requires that the state where you are currently monitored and the state where you are moving to approve the transfer of your case.

The transfer process isn’t a quick one, so don’t think that you can move without any notice. There is a 45-day time limit on these applications, but that only governs the amount of time that the receiving state, or state where you want to move, has to make a decision on the application. There isn’t a limit to how long the state you currently live in can take to actually send the application to the receiving state. The 45-day clock doesn’t start until the receiving state gets the application.

You should understand that there are sometimes fees and other responsibilities for you to meet with these transfers. Some states charge a processing fee for the application. You might also have to pay for supervision fees if the application is approved and you move to the new location.

If you choose to move to another state without waiting for the application to process, you are violating your probation or parole. This comes with new criminal penalties that can keep you involved in the criminal justice system for much longer.

Source: Interstate Commission for Adult Offender Supervision, “Understanding the Interstate Compact,” accessed Aug. 4, 2017